TSS Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482)
This visa, referred to as the TSS visa, enables employers to address labour shortages by bringing in genuinely skilled workers where they cannot source an appropriately skilled Australian. It facilitates targeted use of overseas workers to address temporary skill shortages, while ensuring that Australian workers get priority. TSS visa holders can work in Australia in their nominated occupation for their approved sponsor under one of three streams:
- the Short-Term stream
- the Medium-Term stream
- the Labour Agreement stream
This stream is available if your employer wishes to sponsor you (as an overseas skilled worker) on a temporary basis only in occupations listed on the Short-term Skilled Occupation list (STSOL) for a TSS visa. It can be used to fill positions for a maximum of:
- two years or
- four years if an International Trade Obligation (ITO) applies.
This stream is available if your employer wishes to sponsor you (as an overseas skilled worker) for periods of up to four years in occupations listed on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) or the Regional Occupation List (ROL) for a TSS visa
Labour agreement stream
This stream is available if your employer wishes to sponsor you (as an overseas worker) and has entered into a labour agreement with the Department of Home affairs
The TSS visa is for skilled workers who want to work in Australia temporarily. This visa involves a three-step process:
Step 1: sponsorship application by the employer
Step 2: nomination application for a skilled position by the employer
Step 3: visa application by the proposed employee
The three steps above must be completed in order. You do not, however, have to wait for each application to be approved to move onto the next step.
You can generally be in or outside Australia when you apply. However, you cannot apply for another Short-term stream in Australia as the primary visa applicant if all of the below apply:
- you have held more than one Short-term stream TSS visa
- you were in Australia when the application for your most recent TSS visa was made
- this requirement would not be inconsistent with an ITO.
This visa allows you to travel to and from Australia for the duration of your visa and:
- if you are the primary visa holder, to work in Australia in your nominated occupation for an approved sponsor (or an associated entity of a sponsoring Australian employer)
- if you are a family member, to work and study in Australia.