- About Us
- Contact Us
- Family Visa
- Australian Citizenship
- Living in Australia
- Migration News
Skilled Independent 189 Visa
Subclass 189 — Skilled Independent
The Subclass 189 — Skilled Independent visa is designed for skilled visa applicants who would like to permanently migrate to Australia.
Applying for this visa can be divided into two (2) parts. First, you need to submit an Expression of Interest or EOI through Skill Select. This is where the Department will evaluate your age, work experience, English language ability and qualification and will decide whether to invite you to apply for this visa. Secondly, if the Department decides to invite you to apply for the visa, you will then have to apply for the visa within 60 days.
You may apply for this visa either outside or in Australia. Prospective applicants in Australia must have an eligible visa to apply for this visa while applicants outside Australia do not need a visa to apply for this visa.
- Expression of Interest
- You meet 60 points in Skilled Migration point system where age, English language ability, skilled employment, qualifications and other factors will be evaluated.
- You have not yet turned the age of 50.
- Your nominated occupation is on the relevant skilled occupational list.
- You have a positive skill assessment in your nominated occupation.
- You have scored at least 6.0 on each component of IELTS or scored ‘B’ on each component of OET. Exemptions apply for passport holders from Canada, New Zealand, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom or the United States of America. (NOTE: No points will be awarded if you attain this score.)
- Visa Application
- You have been invited by the Department.
- You pass both the health and character requirements.
- Your claimed points in EOI match the points that you will submit in the visa application.
In conclusion, you may include your partner and children when applying for this visa. This visa will allow you and your family to live in Australia indefinitely. Lastly, the visa will allow you to travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted.